lunes, mayo 20, 2013

retomamos , de medio ironman , carretera a MTB



What It Takes To Be An Ironman





Documentary showing six months of training culminating with my competition in the Expedition Man (my fourth Ironman distance Triathlon)

I am an ordinary guy: I am a public school teacher, I am married, and have a seven month old son. However, one unique thing about me is that I enjoy competing in Triathlons, especially the 140.6 mile 'Ironman' distance Triathlons. I am definitely not a professional athlete though, I pay for all my own equipment and have to fit all my training around my work schedule and around my family responsibilities. This fact though - that I am able to compete in Ironman Triathlons while still fulfilling all my other duties and responsibilities - is what sets the stage for a great story and documentary.

When new acquaintances, friends, coworkers, and even family members find out I have done and will continue to compete in Ironman Triathlons, nearly everyone at some point asks me one of the following questions: "You swim 2.4 miles then bike 112 miles and then run a marathon (26.2 miles)? You do this all at once - like in the same day and not over the course of a week? How is this humanly possible?" I love answering these questions, but my favorite question to answer is "How do you begin the process of training for something like this?" I especially love answering this question because completing an Ironman is something I believe anyone could accomplish if they wanted to badly enough; I feel that I am proof of this because I really am an ordinary guy. What makes my story special though is that I fit all the training around working full-time as a public school teacher and being a dedicated husband and father; these are areas of my life that I do not neglect. This is the story that I want to share with the world.

After telling the story countless times of how I went from living a completely sedentary life and being 60 pounds overweight to 'becoming' an Ironman by training for and completing numerous Triathlons including three Ironman distance races, I started developing a vision of how I could more effectively share my story with the world. My vision evolved into what this Kickstarter project is all about: producing and filming my own documentary. I am signed up for my fourth Ironman distance Triathlon in August of 2013. The documentary I plan to make will capture six months of training leading up to the race and show exactly what goes in to training for an Ironman. This documentary, entitled "What It Takes To Be An Ironman," will be an unfiltered look at what a Triathlete has to do every day over the course of six months to be prepared for the 140.6 mile race. It will show the sacrifices that I make to get my swimming, biking, running, and strength-training workouts in without faltering as a husband, father, and professional educator. Some of these sacrifices I make include waking up at 4:00 am to swim laps before work, commuting to and from work by bike (an approximately 30 mile round trip), and helping put my newborn son to sleep before going for late-night runs. This documentary will be an intimate showcase of my life and the sacrifices I make so that competing in Ironman Triathlons can be an integral part of my life.

A very important part of my story lies in what motivated me to make a change in my life. I used to take the Metro (D.C.'s public transportation) system to and from work, but the infamously poor service and outrageous cost of commuting this way were causing serious frustrations in my life. Fortunately, a friend showed me how I could avoid all this stress by riding my bike to work. This chance event literally changed my life, and to properly tell my story about how I became an Ironman and continue to train for these races, I must detail what the conditions of my commute and life were like before making this change. Motivation is a huge part of the training that goes into preparing for a 140.6 mile Triathlon, and as you will see, I had some very strong motivation to cut the Metro out of my life and become as good of a cyclist as possible to allow me to bike into work on a daily basis. This is an integral part of my story and will be given its due part in my documentary.

The questions "How is completing a 140.6 mile Triathlon even possible?" and "How do you begin the training process for something like that?" are two of the main questions I am going to answer by creating this documentary.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1939322499/what-it-takes-to-be-an-ironman?ref=live


revista MTB pro
Otro viaje espectacular: nos vamos a Los Alpes de Sunnmore en Noruega con Mattias Fredriksson. Probamos la Specialized Camber y rendimos culto al titanio subiéndonos en una GT Lighting del 98. Eva Castro nos guía en el Sea Otter Classic y en la nueva sede de Santa Cruz. Y no salgas sin tu móvil: reportaje especial de apps para tu smartphone. Para acabar Tom Malecha nos cuenta sus experiencias realizando un reto increíble: el Haute Route.


http://www.mtbpro.es/revista/6

No hay comentarios: